Thursday, December 5, 2013

DIY projects

Remember our DIY projects as seen below?
I attempted a few of these this holiday season to give you the insight into the turnout of the project.

I went to the dollar store and bought a few decorative ornaments as well as some ribbon. I ended up taping my ribbon from the top of a window pane so they hang over my window pane. My suggestion is to make each ribbon a different length. It adds great depth to the look. My neighbor did this as well with smaller ornaments, leftover from her tree and it looked just as great! Keep it cheap!


I didn't want to spend the money on the burlap for this project so I used leftover white cardstock that I have and used my cut out machine to cut out letters from red cardstock. If you don't have a cut out machine you can always cut out each letter. A lot of craft stores also have a cutout machine, like Porters. I made my sign to say MERRY CHRISTMAS instead. I also made one saying NORTH POLE. I ended up using these for a ward party and had them leftover for my house afterwards. Again, keep it cheap!

This is my favorite so far. I went to Porters and bought these little people. I had a bunch of leftover fabric from my stockings (see below) and just recently started on this project. I used my hot glue gun but if you don't have one just use any type of glue. I haven't made the stable yet but the stable pieces are found at Porters as well. Just make them as you go and turn it into exactly what you want! I really suggest a hot glue gun because it dries so much faster than any other glue and will stick much stronger than typical elmers.


 I made my own stockings this year from this pinterest idea. Images of my actual ones are below:
This was the pinterest idea from the original blog post

I went to Wal-mart and bought a little burlap and cream fabric as well as some decorative designs such as buttons, floral ribbon...etc. I had a $1 stocking from last year that I used to measure this one. I didn't use any other kind of pattern so if I can do it you can too! This is my daughters and I plan on putting a monogram letter for her first name on it with more decorative things such as dark brown buttons, etc. I still haven't attached the string that holds them to the mantle but so far here are my four:

My neighbor also made her own stockings with me but she did a reverse type with the burlap as the base and the cream as the top that folds down. Those were super cute as well so get creative and crafty with them! I'd love to hear how yours turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment