Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Alternative Christmas Tree Ideas

One of my favorite things about Christmas is setting up the tree. I'm a college student and I wont be spending my Christmas here in Rexburg, I'm graduating and will be moving soon so I don't to spend a lot on decorations that will just take up more space as I move. I also live in a studio apartment with limited space. I see no point in spending so much money on buying a tree and decorations for just a couple weeks of prettiness before moving. My husband actually came up with the idea for our "tree" this year and it only cost us $5! We bought two strands of lights at Walmart for $2.50 each then used tape put the lights on the wall in the shape of a tree. Then I used wrapping paper to add the finishing touches, "ornaments," the trunk, and the star on top (wrapping paper is from Walmart also, $.99/roll).

Christmas light trees can also be made in different shapes, like the fancier ones below. 
 

I have been here for one other Fall semester and lived with roommates then. We didn't decorate much inside our apartment but one roommate got silly and creative and brought home a piece of sagebrush one evening. She then attached it outside our door and decorated it. It was our Christmas tree that year and absolutely free. 

Another idea I have seen and hope to try one day is to make a tree completely out of Christmas ornaments. It's made by attaching string of different lengths to ornaments and hanging them from the ceiling in the shape of a tree. It can be relatively cheap depending on where you buy your ornaments. 
  
If your have ever made your own alternative Christmas tree or have other ideas of your own, let us know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Just got linked to this--so pretty! What kind of tape did you use and how did you make it so invisible?

    ReplyDelete