Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY projects

With Christmas just right around the corner and your budget slowly getting smaller and smaller by the weeks here are a few quick and easy DIY (do-it-yourself) projects that you can do to add the holiday cheer into your home.

Go to your local craft store and pick up some wooden people. They usually have these less than $.50 a piece and you can usually get coupons and deals for 50% off unfinished wood. Rexburg: try porters. I found these are Porters for $.69 but half off made them $.35 each. The wooden stable you can make with wood scraps around the house or a craft store as well. For the fabrics use leftover materials in your house or leftover burlap or ribbon/string.

Print out/cut out simple holiday shapes and add to a garland strand to hand in your home from wall to wall.

Make your own festive stockings. I made 4 for under $10 by going to the local Walmart and picking up 1/4 yard of burlap and 1.5 yards of a cream fabric. I used the cream for the base of the stocking like the one on the left and the burlap for the top part. Add cute decorations to each every year.

The dollar store in Rexburg has these decorative balls or get a pack of smaller ones, pick up some matching ribbon and hang from a window. Quick and easy way to add decor to any window. Outline window with white lights from dollar store or Walmart. Walmart has 100 white lights for $2.50 and the dollar store gives you 20 lights for $1.

Grab an extra 1/2 yard of burlap at Walmart (about $1.50) and cut out these cute shapes. Pick up 1/4 yard red fabric and cut out the letters. Hang from one wall to another or in an entry way or across your fireplace if you have one. Cost is less than $4! And you can save it every year. :)

These are a neat way to add hanging decor from your ceiling. Click HERE for the tutorial. Just start saving your toilet paper rolls! Yes toilet paper rolls!! Simply cut, spray paint and glitter. Hang from a ceiling for great decor. Save them in a small box from year to year so you don't crush them!
Have more ideas? Seen ideas on pinterest? Leave a comment!

8 comments:

  1. these are so cute! I want to make these this year!
    Other things i like to make are the big paper snowflakes. also any Christmas cards you get you can hang on the wall with a string, that's what my family does with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute ideas! I like that y'all suggested places to get all the stuff, too. Now I just wish I had my own house and family so I could make all the cutsie stuff. I especially love the ornaments hanging by the window, and the burlap "believe" banner! Thanks for sharing such creative, cheap ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these look great. I'll have to show them to my wife. She isn't a fan of buying christmas decorations - but still wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Achei essas ideas muito interesante. Adorei as sugestoes porque cada um pode ganhar ideas de como planejar um natal saudavel, simples, e financeiramente sustentavel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool, this would be the best project for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I'm looking for cheap presents to give to my family, even ones I can make for myself. Have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous ideas! I want to try them all! This is sooo creative. I love each and every idea. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete